Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Happy Birthday Emma and Madelyn!

Yesterday at 7:16pm we became the parents of the most beautiful little girl we've ever seen – Emma Gail Mayer (2lb. 14oz).


Then at 7:27pm, her equally gorgeous baby sister – Madelyn Lee Mayer (3lb. 2 oz.) was born!


We are all doing unbelievably well for a 29 week birth. They are the most perfect little angels!

Emma is breathing room air on her own now. Madelyn is breathing assisted, but she is progressing very well and they just lowered the amount of assisted breathing she was receiving to see how she does. They are keeping warm in there little isolettes, and love when mommy and daddy visit to hold their hands. It's amazing the clutches these lil' girls have. They have run a bunch of blood work from which we are still awaiting results, due to Emma showing infection in-utero. They are both on antibiotics. They will be in the NICU at Magee until 34-36 weeks gestational age, so about 5-7 weeks. It will be so hard not going home with them, but we know they are in great care here. We will be able to hold them in the next few days and offer them "kangaroo care". This is basically us holding them skin to skin on our chests. Hearing our heartbeats (especially mine that they have heard for 7 months) will comfort them, and being on our skin will help keep them warm. It will be our way of bonding with them while they are in the NICU. We can't wait to get the okay to do this!

I started pumping and have been able to get plenty of initial milk for the babies. This will do so much to help them and their health when they start eating in the next few days. They will be fed intravenously or through a feeding tube until they are able to suck and swallow on their own, which is usually around 32 weeks.

I am recovering very well. I'm extremely tired, of course. I will post our full birth story after I take my next nap. I'm being released tomorrow (insurance will only cover 2 nights), so I'll be home tomorrow night. I can't drive for 2 weeks, so it will be interesting trying to get in here every day to see my girls!

Thank you all of much for all your hopes and prayers. We have been through so much to get here and know that all of your love and support has helped us get to this point. If I haven't talked to you personally, I promise I will get to you soon!

11 comments:

Rachel said...

They are beautiful!!! They look so healthy for how tiny they are and their skin looks so soft :-)

Congrats!

Christi said...

They are absolutely gorgeous. Congrats! love the names too.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness!!! They are gorgeous! Congratulations!

Michelle said...

Congratulations! The girls are ABSOLUTELY adorable!!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

congratulations! they are just absolutely precious and so, so beautiful! my triplets were born at 29 weeks, 2 days, so if you need anything let me know!

monica said...

They look gorgeous for how little they are! Congratulations!! Love thier names also!

Jody jsusann said...

OMG...I cannot believe you had the babies!!! That came so fast, Loree! Congratulations Mommy, your new daughters are absolutely gorgeous!!! Amazing, just amazing! Enjoy mommyhood, every minute, every second. : )))

ONE OUT OF SIX said...

They're BEAUTIFUL Loree!! They look perfect!! CONGRATULATIONS!! :-) :-)

Trish said...

Hey Cuz Congratulations.

Loree- I am sooo proud of you these girls are beautiful.. truley lil' lj's I was standing by yesterday on pins and needles sending every good vibe from everywhere I could. I look forward to sharing birthday fun with 2 cute chicks even if they are 25 years and 1 day apart. hahhahaha... All my love from Jersey.

You and Christian are going to make amazing parents. can't wait to meet Emma and Maddy!

Love-Trish

Ben and Cori Momma said...

Congrats!! Beautiful names for two miracle angels! Keep on growing girls!!

Unknown said...

What a journey but truly worth the wait! Lori and Christian what a beautiful story but even more beautiful are your two little angels! Congratulations!!

Ruben and Maria Abunto