Monday, June 30, 2008

20 weeks

The babies now weigh about 10 ounces. They are the length of bananas (about 10 inches from head to heel)! They are swallowing more now, which is practice for their digestive system. They are also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in their bowels, and we'll see it in the first soiled diapers. Nice!

Their skin is beginning to thicken and develop into four layers. Hair growth is continuing and hair can been seen around the upper lip and eyebrows. They will now cover their ears with their hands if a loud sound is made near me or jump if they are startled. HOW CUTE!!

It may now be possible for Christian to hear the babies heartbeats by placing his ear against my bare lower abdomen (we'll be trying this tonight)!

This is what they are looking like now...


We're still waiting for the first good kicks, which I'm sure I'll be soon wishing didn't come so soon. I'm feeling pretty good, just tire very easily. This weekend completely wore me out. I'm starting to get swollen ankles and my feet hurt pretty bad after walking and first thing in the morning. My energy level hasn't increased, which I was hoping for right about now. I'm listening to my body and napping when it tells me it needs it and getting to bed early. My belly button is still trying to "pop" out, but hasn't succeeded yet :)

On another note, Christian's family is in from out of town and we had fun this weekend with our nieces. All 4 of them! Abbi and Izzy, our twin nieces from Phoenix, will be in all week. I'm sure we'll learn plenty more about taking care of twins while they are here from them and their parents.

No comments: