Monday, September 15, 2008

2 Steps Forward, One Step Back

I guess this is a fairly common thing in the NICU... we, however, are used to sailing forward. Little Madelyn is back on her CPAP. She was struggling with her breathing and wasn't comfortable. She had numerous D-sats last night. I attended rounds with the doctors this morning and they explained that this is fairly common among preemies. They believe from her most recent chest x-ray, that she is retaining fluid, which is entering her lungs. They will give her a diuretic today. The doc says that sometimes they are just too premature to be able to empty their bladders as they should. The fluid that is retained sometimes enters the skin or the lungs. She is just on regular CPAP and breathing room air. We are hoping it'll just be another day or two because she HATES the CPAP. She is constantly struggling to pull it out. Mady has her repeat head scan tomorrow.

The nurse today couldn't get enough of the girls. They were both smiling a ton today. When I saw Mady back on the CPAP, it brought me to tears. However, right before I left she was smiling at me as she was feeding which made me feel better.

Emma now weighs in at 3lbs 2.2 oz. and Mady is 3lbs 1.1 oz. Tiny Emma has now surpassed her sis! Emma is now at 25cc's of milk and Madelyn is at 22cc's. Yesterday we attended a bath demonstration and will now be able to bath our girls on bath days, which are Thursday and Sunday. Emma didn't seem to mind bath time too much at all!

I stayed with them for a little while this morning and was able to Kangaroo with Emma. Christian and I will be going back again tonight. I needed to come home and rest. I haven't been feeling well again and I'm not sure if it's related to pumping or something else. My final results came back from the urine cultures showing that I don't have an infection.

2 comments:

MNjen said...

I've been steadily thinking of and praying for your precious daughters! I hope they continue to do well and grow strong so they can come home soon!

Melissa and Brian are now expecting twins as well. :) We had our ultrasound this morning and it was awesome.

Trish said...

Come On MADY! You can do it chic!! you rock