Saturday, October 11, 2008

Together Again?

We can't seem to get a straight answer as to when the girls will be able to co-bed at the NICU. The nurse last night was shocked that they aren't together yet and found out there are 2 open rooms in the E pod, which is the pod where twins can co-bed. Because the nurse to patient ratio is a little lower, the babies in the E pod need to require a little less. When I called in this morning, that nurse thought it was too early. We are going to try to talk to the doctor about it this weekend. We can't wait to see them together.

The nurse last night also told us that Madelyn's repeat brain U/S came back showing that she doesn't have PVL and we think her cysts may have gone down. The nurse couldn't fully explain, she said we'd need to talk to the doctor, but it sounds like good news to us!

Madelyn is up to a bottle every other feeding and is the champion feeder in the pod. Her O2 requirements are now at about 27%. Emma is feeding from a bottle every 2nd feeding. Her O2 is at 35%, but varies greatly. 35% is usually her highest and 29% is her lowest.

I woke up with a scratchy throat and feel like I might have a cold coming on, so this may be the first time in 38 days that I will not see my girls. I can go in with a mask and not touch them if I choose to, but I don't want to risk anything. Christian didn't get to see them Thursday because he wasn't feeling well and had a slight temperature. It's an awful feeling to have to go a day without seeing your babies.

When are they coming home?
I have NO idea. We know they are doing well, but we don't know when they'll get to leave. It will be before Halloween, we at least know that. Every week I think the next week is THE week. I wish they could just tell us when, but they can't predict what the girls will do over the next few days/week. This is on our list to talk to the doctors about as well.

No comments: