Sunday, February 1, 2009

Solid Foods!

The girls occupational therapist approved them to move forward with adding in solid foods! They are doing pretty well with it, though yesterday they seemed a little fussy after adding some banana to their usual oatmeal cereal. Today we are going to try some homemade green bean puree. We are going to try to make their food. I say "TRY" because I realize it may be pushing to assume that we'll have time on top of having twins and working. But the way I figure, today it took me about 30 minutes to make about a weeks worth of food. I think we're going to buy a book to read more about how we can get the most nutrients to them. It also gives us an excuse to buy that food processor we've been wanting.

Why make our own? Well, if we do buy food, we'll be buying organic which costs significantly more. I just read something today about the chemicals used in the plastic seals on baby food jars and how bad they are. Their are just so many "extra" things added to our food and so many pesticides used in our crops. We want to do everything we can for our girls, and this is one thing we can control. We'll see how it goes! I do have to read more on the storage of homemade food. The food I made today is in ice trays that are stuffed into a freezer bag.

Oh, and the girls now weigh.... Emma: 11lbs, 7oz & Mady: 13 lbs 7 oz.!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Hey, I started making mine a few weeks ago. I use the Magic Bullet and it is fabulous!

I got most of my info from these websites:
http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

Also, I take the little cubes out after they are frozen and put them into bags. Works great.

Good Luck! It is totally worth it!

Erin said...

I just started making mine too! I was surprised at how easy it was! I made butternut squash (which is AMAZING) and avocado. I made 3 weeks worth and it took me like an hour.

A really good reference is "Super Baby Food" http://www.amazon.com/Super-Baby-Food-Ruth-Yaron/dp/0965260313/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233527810&sr=8-1
I do not necessarily agree with everything she says (like that you introduce nuts at 7 months!!!!) and she doesn't have any meet stuff, but that combined with wholesomebabyfood.com are two excellent sources! Good luck and enjoy!

--Erin (quickstepstar from the nest)