Tuesday, August 19, 2008

27 weeks

Wow, we are really happy and thankful to be making it to another milestone. Of course, we aren't out of the woods by any means and will feel so much better when the title of the blog entry reads "30 weeks".

The babies now weigh a little over 2 lbs. and measure almost 14.5 inches from head to heel. Their facial features are almost fully developed and apparently during an ultrasound we may be able to spot them making faces! The skin is becoming thicker and fleshier. The brains are continuing their rapid growth and the lungs are continuing to develop.

They are acting even more like newborns now by opening and closing their eyes, sleeping and waking at regular intervals and maybe even sucking a finger. I started feeling hiccups yesterday. It's so cute!

The doctor stopped in and asked if I wanted to go home tomorrow. Of course I do! Is it the right decision? I would hope they wouldn't let me go unless it was okay. She's going to talk it over with tomorrow's doctor, but thinks that I've been stable for long enough. She feels better knowing that I've been having some cramping here and hopes that I will be able to detect more severe cramping or longer periods of cramping which may mean things are changing. She said I need to know that I may be back here in in a few days or weeks having to stay again... it just all depends on what happens. She repeated again that this not a typical pregnancy. At the same time, because this is my first pregnancy, she feels that I will have time when things start rolling. That's my fear, to feel something too late or not get to the hospital soon enough. They want me to call with anything, wanting be safe rather than sorry. I told her I am definitely still worried, but I know that I will do nothing more than I am doing here at home so that I can keep these babies in as long as possible. We'll see how I do at home. If I had any change, I would want to stay.

In the meantime at home, our poor kitty is sick. He's going through kidney failure. He had been doing pretty good, but last night he peed in a clothes basket and Christian saw him eating cat litter. These are signs that he may not be doing so well right now. After doing some reading last night, I think he might also be having small seizures as he tends to "space out" a lot. I so badly want to be home with him. The worst thing would be for us to have to put him to sleep without me seeing him again. He's the sweetest cat and he's only 7 years old. We love you Giger, our lil' buddy!

2 comments:

Jody jsusann said...

Oh honey, I'm just getting caught up in everything going on with you! I had no idea you were in the hospital. I am praying everything calms down and the babies can hang in there. I'm so sorry your kitty is going thru such a tough time. I am an animal lover and my heart breaks for your kit. Hang in there hon' and I hope you can go home safely soon. : ))))

CJ said...

So sad to hear about your cat. That's horrible. I hope you can see her again.